Frequently Asked Questions about Boardstix

This is where all threads concerning Boardstix® go.
MikeGeorge
Designer-a-saurus

Frequently Asked Questions about Boardstix

Post by MikeGeorge » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:41 pm

How is Boardstix different from a normal pen?

Boardstix is known for its superior color intensity, variety, and versatility as an art tool. Having such a high quality and capability in a water-based paint marker was little to unheard of in the art product world before Boardstix®. Because the paint is water-based, marks can be blended, diluted, and erased at any time before the final finishing process. The markers' construction is superior due to the materials used and the valve-controlled system of saturating the nib. So many artists and people interested in customizing their hard-surfaced gear have sworn by the versatility and capability of Boardstix and have never turned back.

Can I fix it if I make a mistake?

Some have reported to take their board into the ocean if they wanted to start anew with their Boardstix painting. This is because the paint is water-soluble. Applying a cloth, sponge, or brush impregnated with water will enable you to blend, dilute, or erase marks that have been made. Marks can be cleanly made on-top of previous marks that have sufficiently diluted and given some time to dry.

Do I need to prepare the surfboard for drawing?

For a surfboard, we recommend cleaning thoroughly and and sanding your surface with a 200-400 grit sandpaper.

Why should I sand with sandpaper?

If you draw when the board is not absolutely clean of wax or other impurities, it becomes easy to peel off after drying. Drawing on the roughened porous surface will absorb into the board well and the ink will be hard to peel off.

How will my marks be permanent?

We recommend, and supply at many locations where Boardstix is sold, a Clear Matte or Clear Gloss Acrylic Enamel Spray to finish and seal your work so that your surface becomes slick and durable after painting.

After drawing on the surfboard, can I dry it with a hair dryer, etc?

The Boardstix Paint generally has no problem with exposure to heat but surfboards are not usually resistant to such high heat. In the interest of not hurting your board, time and patience between drying will be the best method for properly finishing your board. If you really need to hurry, use the lowest heat setting necessary.

Have Boardstix paintings been known to fall off or be damaged?

If you use the clear coat, your markings will not fall off from normal use. However, nothing is truly permanent and if you strike or scrape your board hard enough, your marks and surface can be damaged.

Can exposure to the sun alter the color of Boardstix® paintings?

Boardstix inks are light-fast and will not deteriorate from exposure to the sun. However, as with most inks, it is possible for marks to deteriorate over the span of years if un-maintained.

I am interested in making fine details. Can I do this with Boardstix?

In addition to the various valve-controlled paint-fed tips of the markers themselves, people have been known to use cotton buds, brushes, and fine quill nibs to apply the ink. Another common method to achieve a very fine edge is to paint over painters' tape or another kind of masking tape and then peel it off after your marks have dried. With a well prepared surface, the possibilities for detail are endless!

I would like to erase a finished and sealed Boardstix Painting.

If your marks have been sealed with clear coat spray and you want to remove it, you will have to do some work to achieve this. Alternating between scrubbing with acetone and sanding with sandpaper will eventually get your painting off the board. You can always create a new painting on-top of your old painting if the existing painting has, in fact, been sealed with clear coat spray. Please be careful, you are at risk of damaging your board if you attempt to scrape off a sealed painting without knowing what you are doing. We must accept no responsibility for damaged boards.